Friday 16 July 2010

Proverbs 3

Had bible study on Proverbs 3 last Friday during summer OCF. We came across several things, some of which I thought it’d be good to share. Proverbs 3 draws a lot of symbolism from Deuteronomical era, and the first few verses of proverbs seem to be very similar to that of Deuteronomy 6.

My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart.-Proverbs 3:1

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. –Proverbs 3:3

These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. – Deuteronomy 6:6-8

It gives me more meaning when reading proverbs 3. The author of proverbs wrote his instructions using similar imagery as that found in Deuteronomy 6; Moses had just declared to the whole of Israel the 10 commandments which were carved on stone. He then goes on to say that the commandments carved in stone were in fact to be carved on their hearts, tied on their hands and bind on their foreheads; It was more than simply being law. It was meant to be internalized- it wasn’t enough for the people just to know the law but to understand the spirit of the law.

What a timely reminder when in reading God’s word not to treat it as knowledge that informs, but as a piece of wisdom from God that transforms.

Trust in the Lord in all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. –Proverbs 3:5-6

With all your heart.

Not on your own understanding.

In all your ways.

Reading these verses in the light of Deuteronomy 6 makes it seem to carry so much more weight.

-

I’ve been doing a little thinking on trusting God recently. It’s kinda hard at times. But more and more, I’m convinced that the where(s) and the what(s) you end up doing pale in comparison to being able to know God at a level where he alone is everything. The jump in itself means very little if it’s not into God’s hands.

Promise or a dare,
I would jump if I knew you’d catch me. –Jars of Clay

And here's a photo I knicked off the net by stickybraw20:

No comments:

Post a Comment